Nevertheless the gloom will not be upon her who is distressed,
As when at first He lightly esteemed the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali,
and afterward more heavily oppressed her, by the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, in Galilee of the Gentiles.
The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, upon them a light has shined.
You have multiplied the nation and increased its joy; they rejoice before You according to the joy of harvest, as men rejoice when they divide the spoil.
For You have broken the yoke of his burden and the staff of his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, as in the day of Midian.
For every warrior’s sandal from the noisy battle, and garments rolled in blood, will be used for burning and fuel of fire.
For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end, pon the throne of David and over His kingdom, to order it and establish it with judgment and justice from that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.
- To call the nation of Judah back to God.
- Also to tell of God’s salvation through Messiah
- The prophet Isaiah, son of Amos
The events of chapters occurred during Isaiah’s ministry, so they were probably written about 700 BC
Isaiah was speaking and writing mainly in Jerusalem
- In the gloom and despair, will our sorrows and troubles never end?
- Take heart! God doesn’t always lead us around troubles,
but following him wholeheartedly, he will lead us through them.
Jesus is the Fathers gift to Us.
“For to us a child is born.” v6
- The “US” is the Hebrew nation. And all believers of all nations.
- The apostle John tells us, “He came to His own, and His own did
not receive Him. But as many as received Him (Jews or Gentiles)
to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who
believe in His name.” John 1:11-12
God is a giving God
“Unto us a Son is given” v6
God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. John 3:16
Who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree. 1Peter 2:16
- This is the Fathers gift to us. God has given us so much!!
- This portion of the prophecy was fulfilled when the Virgin Mary brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger. Luke 2:17
This is the end of the first Part of the Prophesy
- The rest of the prophecy in (vs 6,7) will not come to pass until
Messiah returns to earth.
So you must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour
when you do not expect him. Matthew 24:44
When He Comes Again
“The government will be upon His shoulders.”
- What a great day that will be. When He carries the government on His
all powerful shoulders!
- This child would become their deliver, and Messiah. Their King!
- Only then will the world know righteous government!!
But about the Son he says, Your throne, O God, will last for ever
and ever, and righteousness will be the sceptre of your Kingdom.
When Jesus comes again
- Isaiah uses four names to describe the Messiah
These names have a special meaning to us!
1) “Wonderful Counsellor” v6
- He is exceptional; distinguished, and without peer, the one who
gives the right advice. He is available to each one of us now!!
- Jesus is the perfect counsellor, He never sought or needed
counselling from any man. Romans 11:34
2) “Mighty God” v6
For the Lord your God is God of Gods and Lord of Lords, the
great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and
accepts no bribes. Dueteronomy 10:17
- He is God himself. Talk about God’s attributes.
- When Jesus, the ‘Mighty God,’ sits on the throne of His Kingdom all nations will come before Him to be judged.
- He will separate the righteous, from the unrighteous. Matthew 24:31- 46
3) “Everlasting Father” v6
- He is timeless; he is God our Father.
- Jesus is the Father Eternal who watches over His own.
- He said, I and My Father are one. John 10:30
- Jesus didn’t say that the Son, and the Father were one person, but they are two persons in one substance.
4) “Prince of Peace.”
- His government is one of justice and peace. Talk about peace.
- Until the everlasting Kingdom is established. There will be no
lasting peace in the world. Matt 24:4 -8
- The apostle Paul tells us that, in a world were there is no peace we can have “peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ”.
Romans 5:1 “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
When He Comes Again v7
There will be no end to the increase of His government or peace.
- His government will not become stagnant. No activity or change.
- There will be no end to its growth.
- And we will continue to grow in grace knowledge with it but grow in the
grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18
When He Comes Again
- He will sit on the throne of David.
- David’s throne will be an actual throne.
- He is not on David’s throne now, but when He comes He will rule
the world in righteousness.
- The Messiah will rule from the throne of David, giving the world a
government of peace, justice, and righteousness.
- Note, the throne of David is not in Heaven.
- It is located in Jerusalem – see Psalm 122
- Jesus is not now on the throne of David, He is seated now with His Father, on His Father’s throne.
“To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my
throne, just as I overcome and sat down with my Father on his
throne.” Revelation 3:21
- The Messiah will bring “righteousness and fairness” to the earth
when He returns. At that time the curse will be lifted, and the plant
and animal kingdoms will be restored to their original perfection.
- Verses 6 and 7 cover both the first and second coming of Jesus.
- It is one of the clearest and most revealing messianic prophecies in the Old Testament.